GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

How can I tell if I have a virus or worm??

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-ujnfhxrj- replied 4 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Is your question medical or computer related.

If medical I can answer, if computer then you will need to change the category.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
computer related

I have put in a category change request to computer - Mac.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there Priscilla. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. Generally speaking, the best way to tell if you have a virus or some sort of malware or spyware on your MAC is to run a scan using special software. Can you tell me what symptoms you are experiencing on the MAC?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

One of the programs that I recommend is Malware Bytes for MAC, which can be downloaded here https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/. If you suspect that you have a virus, worm, malware or spyware, you should download and install this, then run a full scan with it. Do you have an antivirus virus program on your MAC? Many people believe mistakenly that MACS don't need antivirus. While it is true that they are much less likely to get a virus than a Windows computer, it's still important to have an antivirus program. If you don't have one, please let me know so I can recommend a good one. After you have described your symptoms I will offer other suggestions.

If you'd like, I can perform these steps for you while you watch via the Premium Service of Secure Remote Assistance. This is completely optional. If you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and work on the issue for you. If you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.