Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I've been creating slideshows using imovie 10.1.2 and now it

Customer Question

Hello my name is Joan. I've been creating slideshows using imovie 10.1.2 and now it won't let me create a new project. Very frustrating.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just happened last night so I shut the computer down thinking that in the morning, it might be b
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Macbook Pro bought in 2009 using OS El Capitan
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. Not that sort of wiz person
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: At this stage I just need to complete my project thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to! My name is Mike.

I can trouble shoot this for you by remote control if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you think the problem is Mike?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

I can't be sure until I run some tests

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is involved in remote control suggestion Mike?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I see that I'm required to pay $50 for remote control assistance. Sorry Mike, I'm not comfortable with this
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

We do it all the time and you can check the credentials of this site. Also see my record here: You can take it somewhere else if you wish. No problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

I give you an app to install and it is safe and secure and I have no access after we are done. You are right to be wary but this site is safe.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That's fine Mike. I'll have to use my husband's computer to finish my project. Time is against me. I will keep this website on my records for future assistance.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

OK good luck, I offered to help for $36 more for the record...

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

There are things you can try yourself but I thought you were in a hurry... remote help is the fastest way.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

If all is OK I have some other tricks using the Terminal app.

The price is also negotiable.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Mike. I'm sorry that I did not answer you previously. I have been working on my slideshows and have just finished using slideshow facility in Photos. Because I had 7 to do, I have just finished now. Thank you for your advice but I won't be pursuing the action you recommend as that's not my bag. I'm up for a new computer anyway. It was just a nuisance to have that hiccup when I was in the middle of my project/s. Thank you once again for your assistance.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Ok but you should learn how to do these things regardless they are normal maintenance and should be done even if the computer is new.