Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

The same thing happens with me and the solution above is not

Customer Question

Mike the same thing happens with me and the solution above is not working. I am traveling international and it was working for the first few days and just stopped today.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

I cannot see sorry the question you are referring to or the problem you have. Can you tell me please what this is?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The error is when I try logging in with my Apple ID and password ***** messages. It says: iMessage activation; unable to contact the imessage server. try again.This just started on day 5 of my trip in Spain (this morning), where the text messages on my phone just stopped working. I have tried a soft reset, hard reset, changing the date and time to the original US time zone, and tried the automatic time zone for where I am (Madrid). I have tried logging in on wifi and on carrier LTE. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

thanks

Go to Settings.

Tap Messages.

Turn iMessage off.

Then hold home and power on the iPhone for about 10 seconds until you see the apple logo then release.

Let the phone restart, then go back and enable iMessage and tell me if it then works please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is. It giving me an option to turn off iMessage. When I go to messages it simply has a blank login screen for iMessage. I have done the hard reset several times without it working.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is not giving me that option to turn it off.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok... so your saying it is not turned on? But asking you to log in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The very first screen I come to when I click on messages under settings is the iMessage login screen. There are no other options available other than to login with my Apple ID. And I've double clicked home button and closed all background apps as well. FaceTime incidentally is doing the exact same thing. Not sure if it helpful, but my phone died last night. This morning when it was charged, first thing in the morning I saw that I had 8 messages. When I unlocked my phone to check them, it went blank and I found out about this issue. Incidentally when I open up messages, I can not send or receive any messages.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, what happens though when you try to sign in with your Apple ID?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It takes about 3-5 minutes and the error message I noted above pops up. "Unable to contact the iMessage server. Try again."
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, does it have internet though? If you open Safari can you go to a webpage?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That is how I am communicating with you now.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, go to settings, general, reset, reset settings.

Then reset network settings.

Then tell me if iMessage now works please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just tried all this. Same error.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Can you sign into your account at www.icloud.com

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. Just tried it and although there was no place to login directly, I ised the find my phone feature on the iCloud website. Logged in with my credentials and it was able to find my phone online.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

which timezone is the phone set to?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Madrid. Automatically set. And I am in Ibiza, Spain, just south of Madrid.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

ok, try setting it to where you come from in the States and tell me if it then connects to iMessage server please

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Richard, please see above. I tried that already, and tried to set it manually to where I am now and then returned to the automatic time zone option.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

If you go to the App Store, are there any updates to be done? If so can you do these please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm doing all the updates. 9 left. Wifi is slow here at the hotel, so it will likely be another 10-15 min.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

no problem and thanks

Once done, restart and try iMessage please

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

how did you go? Is it done yet?