Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

How do I get rid of com.apple.dock.extra quit unexpectedly

Customer Question

Hi, how do I get rid of com.apple.dock.extra quit unexpectedly on my Mac. It keeps popping up and it's annoying. Started after I updated iTunes - I believe. thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does this issue occur every time you shut down / restart the computer?

Does this issue occur when you open a particular application? Or does it occur automatically even if you have quit / closed all applications?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It occurs when the laptop in turned on and during any open application and keeps continuously reoccurring
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I googled it and found this but I don't understand how to perform this and if it is safe:Here's the solution. /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.dock.extra .xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.dock
and when you get to the level of the dock.app right click + select "Show Package Contents, then select contents+xpcservices+delete com.apple.dock.extra.xpc
Then goto activity monitor and forcequit the process, dump your trash and you are done!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10.8.5
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just checking it - I replied and have not received a response. Not too satisfied with service so far.