Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Mac loaded with the cross through a circle after the

Customer Question

Hi my Mac loaded with the cross through a circle after the apple logo.
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: Ok cool thanks
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried the above on the thread. Not sure if you can see what thread I mean. But first I did command/option/P/R. Then did shift after start to start in safe mode. Last I did command plus S to try and enter a command but couldn't. None worked.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: So what happened is I was trying to engage FileVault for an application for work. It said I needed to restart the computer but would have to plug it in first. Then in froze. Couldn't forcequit. Let it sit about 10 min then hit the on/off switch. And then this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 months ago.

Try this:

10.11 or above

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.
________

10.10 or below

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.