Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My MacBook Pro has been refusing to boot beyond the apple

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro has been refusing to boot beyond the apple logo and the bar beneath it. That Apple Store tech ran tests and said the hard drive was bad soI replaced that with a higher quality one. Problems persists.
So apple tech person ran diagnostics and it seems the hardware is now okay. Twice they have reloaded the software and it runs fine. I then have downloaded my time machine and it works fine until I turn it off. Then same problem, Could it be there's a virus on my backed up files causing the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Marc
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try a few things Marc.. If you hold down the option key when you first turn on the mac, what do you see as choices?

Also, if you hold down the left shift key when you boot your mac, will it boot into safe mode?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No differences
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

How about if you hold down command option and R when you very first press power to turn the machine on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Again the same- it gets stuck at the apple and bar
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wait, it just went to screen with set up window- asking which language
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood.. Choose a language.. and try to get through the setup process.

Let me know if you get stuck at any point and if so, what was the last screen you were on or the last thing you did.

D.S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Dustin, are you still there?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Im here.. the last thing you said was it told you to choose a language.. I responded right after that and havent seen another reply from you other then asking if I was still here..

Did we miss something?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't receive that last message
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

D.S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** that
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Allright.. Keep me posted, as the above isnt necessarily a fix to the issue youve been having.. But, if we can get back to your mac desktop and icons.. Then we have a lot more options with how to proceed.

D.S