Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Two days, Restore and update, DFU mode, Error 3194

Customer Question

Hello Pearl
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Two days
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Restore and update
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: DFU mode
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Error 3194
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can help you in one of two ways:
1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.
2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch.

In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry - am using secure enterprise fleet laptop right now so not allowed to give access to it. Was rather looking for suggestions beyond the standard...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have downloaded new copy of iTunes, as did my wife on her laptop (it's her iPad). All attempts to restore or update, in or out of DFU mode, don't seem to work

Thank you for the update. May I ask which specific problems you are experiencing with the iPhone?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's an iPad 2. Frozen in restore mode (connect to iTunes)

When you attempt to restore the firmware with iTunes, what exactly happens? Also, have you tried restoring it on a different computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
See above - yes. We tried this multiple times on my wife's laptop and I have just replicated the experience. It tries to restore and offers the last disclaimer dialog box - but then fails and goes to error 3194

May I ask how old the iPhone is and if it is under any type of warranty or not?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is an iPad 2 and not an iPhone. See above.

The iPads and iPhones operate in the same way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do know that, but you asked how old it was so naming the iPad edition seemed the best way of answering you. Not under any warranty - must be 5 years old or more now anyway

Have you tried restoring the data using anything besides iTunes? Please, use TinyUmbrella, which is found on the following page to restore the firmware:

If you are on a PC, you can find the firmware files in the following folder:

Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

If you are on a Mac, you can locate the firmware in the following folder:

~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates