Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I log in it freezes on my home page with no icons only

Customer Question

When I log in it freezes on my home page with no icons only home screen and says memory full must delete some but I can't do anything ?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: For about 1 month I can't use it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Control escape key but nothing
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's it thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

We need to free atleast 2GB so that Mac will boo tup. Lets clear some old temporary system files from your Mac. Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters, hitting return after each commands. Make sure you enter them correctly and note the spaces between commands.

mount -uw /

rm -rf/Library/Caches/*

rm -rf/Users/*/Library/Caches/*

reboot

Hit return after entering reboot and then immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Then login to your account. Let me know if you get any errors when you run the commands.

And let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am just getting a black screen no white letters
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried both and it just comes back to log in and disc is full screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think it's leopard
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Do you have the OS X installation discs ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think so but at home I will be there this afternoon
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

We may need to do a erase and install if nothing is working. But we can try to fix it without reinstalling.

Do you have the backup of your files ? Do you have any important files on your Mac ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's backed up and nothing important on the computer thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Then you can do a erase and install. This will delete everything from the Mac and install a fresh version. This will be the quickest solution.

But we can try to fix it without erase and install. Which one would you like to do ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do the erase and install please
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

If you are running 10.5 or 10.6 version, then we need to the discs to do erase and install.

Insert the Mac OS X Installation disc 1 to your Mac. Then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down C key for 20 seconds and this will boot into the OS X installation screen.

If that didn't work boot into installation screen, then insert the disc 1, restart and immediately hold down Option key on keyboard. This will boot into startup manager. Select OS X disc and press return. This will boot into the disc.

In the installation screen, Click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD in left column (your hard disk). Click on Erase tab and click Erase button. This will erase it. Then close that screen and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall OS X.

Let me know how it goes please.