Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

My macbook air keeps restarting. When it gets past the apple

Customer Question

Hi, my macbook air keeps restarting. When it gets past the apple sign it keeps trying to prompt me to reset my password...but i dont need to. I cant log in because it keeps rebooting
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Yosemite i believe and its 1.5 years old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried holdibg down command and R, holding the shift key. And force shut down
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Thats great, and nope nothing else!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please do the following. You nearly did it correct but used shift instead of option

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Tell me if it then functions correctly please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I never heard a second reboot sound but it did enable me to log in, thanks. I'm worried that it will reboot again in about 5 minutes... I will see. What is the probable cause of the continuous rebooting?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

A common cause of this is the PRAM and resetting it usually resolves it. This question though will remain open so if the issue occurs again just let me know here, at any time, this is no problem.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you