Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a new Mac Pro. When I open it, I get a Reset Password

Customer Question

I have a new Mac Pro . When I open it, I get a Reset Password ***** and it will not respond it is locked up. I tried holding down the Control key and the R key at the same time?
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hi there Dan. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. Since you indicated that it is a new computer, I recommend that you follow these steps to reinstall the Operating System.

· Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode (hold down the Command key and the R key during restart).

· Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue. Select the main volume and click Unmount then Erase). Quit Disk Utility (Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility).

Note: If erase is grayed out, you may not have successfully booted into Recovery Mode. Shut down again, and restart, holding down the Command and R key.

· When you have exited Disk Utility, click Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions to reinstall Mac OS X.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

I apologize< Dan. I just saw that you had already tried this. Can you please try again, restarting your Mac and hold down both down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears? After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window with the options listed above. Please try this and let me know the results.