Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iphoto keeps crashing, a few months. none, nope,

Customer Question

my iphoto keeps crashing
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: a few months.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

There are two reasons for this problem. Either the iPhoto application is corrupted or it is the iPhoto Library that has corrupted. We can rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not.

Close iPhoto if it is open. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes Click Rebuild. This may take a few minutes to complete.

After rebuilding, iPhoto will open.

If it is still quitting after rebuilding, then we have to rebuild the iPhoto library using a third party application named iPhoto Library Manager. Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Open iPhoto Library Manager. Select your iPhoto Library, click on Library menu in the top and select Rebuild Library. This will verify the library. Then click the Rebuild button on the right.

After rebuilding, open iPhoto.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the dialog that appears only lets me choose one of the options
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Choose each one and rebuild

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

You will have to repeat the rebuild steps until you rebuild with all options.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

How is it going ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's still going. rebuilding the thumbnails is very slow.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Yes, it will take time especially if your library is large.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, all are done. it is still crashing, and a lot of photos that i uploaded over the last few months are gone now too.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It is the library that is corrupted. We need to rebuild using iPhoto Library Manager,

Download and install it from here (use the trial version) : http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's still going. thanks for checking!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

No problem. Good luck

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

One important thing. Make sure there is enough space on your Mac to rebuild the library.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, it said that it is rebuilt. i went back to iphoto and browsed around for about one minute, the missing photos were still gone, and then it crashed. any ideas?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Can you restart your Mac and test again ?

Also hold down Option key on keyboard and open iphoto. Select Choose Library and choose the iPhoto Library Rebuilt one

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
seems to work better now, not crashing. any way to recover the photos that were in the "last import" folder that i downloaded this morning? they never went into any of the main folders, they were just in the last import folder.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Not sure what happened. Search jpg in spotlight and does it return your pics ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Try this. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home folder. Open Pictures folder. Right click or control + click on the non rebuilt library there and select Show Package Contents. Open Masters or Originals folder and check all folders and do you see those missing photos ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can't find non rebuiltlibrary in any folder
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can we pick this up another time? we have been at this for hours and i have to leave for a few days on a trip. can we continue with this later next week?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Yes, we can continue any time you want. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me via that bookmark when you are back.

When you are back, I want you to look in the Masters folder of rebuilt library. It is possible that file corruption caused the photos to disappear. We got the library back to working, but I'm not sure what happened to those pictures.

Also search jpg in Spotlight (searchbox/magnifier at top left). It will show all the pictures stored on your Mac. If it didn't return your pictures, I'm afraid they are gone. But we can do a thorough search when you are back.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. You can get back to me even if you rate my service. This question will not be closed. Make sure you post a reply in here and don't open new question when you are back.

Best Regards,