GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Under storage and icloud usage in settings I have more than

Customer Question

Under storage and icloud usage in settings I have more than 70gb of phantom music usage even though I have removed all of the music. how do I free up that space?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Please do this on the iPad now:

Go to Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.

Tap Music.

Under Music, swipe LEFT on All Songs.

Tap the red "Delete" button that appears; this will delete all of the songs completely from the device and clear out the storage space as well.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box to continue our conversation.

And, kindly take a moment to RATE my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Music does not show up under General> Storage & icloud usage.
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer it shows up on this page anytime; it's sent out by our site automatically, and not by me. I'll reply back to you below.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, I see. You stated that you had 70GB+ of "phantom" music usage shown on the device; could you let me know where exactly did you see that info, please?

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Also, did you go to General > Storage and iCloud Usage, and then TAP "Manage Storage" under "Storage"?

Keep me posted,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That does not show up anywhere on my ipad. That is my description of the situation. I deleted within the Music app over 70gb of music by genre but It, the music, does not seem to have gone away. Instead it shows in itunes that I have over 84gb in documents and data.
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, okay. Now, go to General > Storage and iCloud Usage, and then TAP "Manage Storage" under "Storage".

Does it show you a breakdown of ALL of the apps using up the storage space there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, and I assume that the Music app does not show up there? And, what's the Used/Available info shown there at the top?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Used 97.3 gb
Available 16.7 gb
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Okay, just a moment.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Okay; I have looked up this info further, and it does seem like a bug/glitch within the iTunes software that's causing the ghost songs to show up now. Let me open up your question to your other experts now, who can assist you further; you will be automatically notified by email once another expert picks this up.

Please do NOT rate until your issue has been resolved. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Alternatively, please let me know if you are using a Windows/Mac computer to sync the iPad now, and I'll set up a remote session (NO extra charge) and troubleshoot the iTunes issue directly for you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am using a windows pc to sync
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link on the Windows computer:

www.tinyurl.com/johnJA

On the page that opens up, click on the arrow next to "Join session."

Follow the on-screen directions to download and OPEN/RUN the "Screen Connect Client" remote file, and we will be connected.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the remote session. I'm opening up your question to our other experts again; they will get in touch with you on this page itself.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Good morning John. My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. I hope you don't mind but I'll need to ask you a few questions to help you sort this out. Can you tell me please what version of IOS you have on your iPad? You can check for this by going to Settings>General>About and looking through the list on the right for Version. Please let me know what you see there. Also in that list you will find imoprtant information such as number of songs on ipad, videos, photos, capacity ( how much storage you have on iPad and) and available ( how much storage you have on the ipad that is not being used). I'll be standing by waiting for the results.