Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Access outlook [ account [email protected]] shows only the

Customer Question

Access outlook [ account [email protected]] shows only the opening page with folders in left column and nothing in center. Click on inbox with 750+ item, nothing happens. Other folders show same. Using iMac OSX leopard. Never had problem before today after ~20 years with hotmail acct.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 5 months ago.

Try this please.

Quit Outlook and all other applications

To quit active applications, follow these steps:

1. Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu (or press Command - Option - Esc).
  2. Select an application in the "Force Quit Applications" window.
    Note: You cannot quit Finder.
  3. Click Force Quit.
  4. Repeat this process until you quit all active applications.

Note: When an application is force quit, any unsaved changes to open documents are not saved.

Try starting Outlook for Mac again. If the issue continues to occur let me know please.

Please let me know if this does not work or if you need any other assistance.

Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.

Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried to make a brand new account so that I might be able to link old account - and the empty new account appears and I can't do anything with it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Helllllllooooo???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
nighty night, I'll be crabby tomorow
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Do you access your hotmail account using your web browser, such as safari or chrome or firefox?

Or do you use the actual office for mac, outlook program to access your account?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Using Firefox 16.0.2 ... have tried to update, but that's as far as I can go with this older iMac. Same with version of OSX, stuck at leopard. Will try secure connect if/when I get too frustrated
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Firefox 16 is a bit old.. So bare with me if these steps dont exactly line up.

if you click tools, options , do you see anything mentioned remove cookies, clear all history, clear history etc?

What we need to do is clear the cache and cookies from firefox, and it will display your hotmail page properly.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Deleted cache, cookies and browsing history. Outlook appears to be the same left column with inbox [now with 800+ items] junk and other folders and blank space where recent mail should be
And I lost everything, including the access to this account - had to talk to cust serv to get reconnected.
I don't want to securely connect just yet
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Allright.. Question.. Does the hotmail account behave the same way with safari?

If it does, we may have to discuss connecting your hotmail account through mac mail or a free program like thunderbird so you can access it, since the old firefox browser doesnt seem to be working with the newer version of outlook.com online ( where you access your email at )

D.S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Works in Safari. Thanks, ***** ***** I'd rather not use Safari because it is such a memory hog, especially when there are multiple windows or tabs open. 2M on this machine and I see the damned color wheel too much in Firefox as it is.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood.. My advice, since you're using an older mac and cant upgrade. Id consider accessing your mail through mac mail or Thunderbird.

That way you free up resources by not using safari, you will still be able to see all your mail.. And you'll be able to continue using Firefox.

If you'd like help setting up mac mail or Thunderbird, let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried thunderbird and this system is inadequate according to the download page.
Mail is set up for my late father's account and I tried to use what I thought was his password, but it won't work. Still has old mail from '08.
Mail in Safari does goofy things when I try to use links - like going to what I expect - it just opens an empty box
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
or when I click on a link in the text, it goes back to the list of email
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

We can get an old version of Tbird running.

First, To start with, I need to know the version of mac osx you have on your machine, you can check as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
10.5.8
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Version 16 of thunderbird works on mac 10.5

http://www.oldapps.com/mac/thunderbird.php?old_thunderbird=9996?download

Though.. You may need to reset the password ***** the mac to install it, since you said you dont know the password ***** when the mac starts to sign in ( which is the same password ***** when you install programs )

This link will walk you through resetting the password ***** the user account in question, but booting into single user mode

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080414140636495

Keep in mind, in the last line where it says /Users/username password

You must replace "username" with the actual user account name you want to reset the password ***** And replace the word 'password" with the password ***** want to use.

For instance, lets say you were trying to reset the password ***** an account / user called JohnsMac and you wanted the password ***** be July2016

You would type in dscl . -passwd /Users/JohnsMac July2016

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried what you suggested and I was able to open tbird ... somehow. I didn't go through the macworld hints, so no username/password ***** none of the steps seemed to work, starting with {command}s, it just booted to the opening background, icons etc. But there was a new icon for tbird ... clicked on it and
I accessed email, but a problem occurs when I click on a link - it opens into Safari. And Safari does not show [cannot show??] some of the content that's supposed to be there [what normally showed up in Firefox]
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
fixed the default browser problem - back to Firefox
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Allright.. So, we have Tbird working and it can access your mail. So now you have a way to view mail on your older mac without having to upgrade. Plus, with Tbird you now have a saved copy of your mail on your mac, which is always a good idea as free mail servers are known for dropping entire folders randomly, every now and then.

So, if you can now view your mail through thunderbird, is there anything else you needed help with?

Dustin S.