Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm trying to install os x el capitan an its saying cannot

Customer Question

hey
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I'm trying to install os x el capitan an its saying cannot be installed on recovery HD
JA: Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know El Capitan well, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: ok
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: all I did was try to wipe the HD
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: NOT GETTING ANY SOUND AT ALL
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ITS SAYING DIGITAL optical out
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this.

You said that you tried to wipe the hard drive. Were you successful? How far have you gotten in the update process?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cannot get update
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok I start over I'm at disk utility now
whats the next step?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 5 months ago.

Before we erase your hard drive, we need to clarify a few things. Do you have the EL Capitan install media on a cd or usb drive? What version of OSX do you currently have on your MAC? From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X.

May I ask why you want to wipe the hard drive? It is far easier to install the upgrade by downloading El Capitan from the App Store and running the installer. For most users, this is the best way to upgrade because it means your existing programs and data remain where they are.