Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Pearl, I can't remember my Mac password. Can you help me?

Customer Question

Pearl,
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I can't remember my Mac password. Can you help me?
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: Thanks!
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just the forgot your password, but that just takes me the password ***** in.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's it. Thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

you will have to reset the password
To do this
Power off the Mac
Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).
This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.
In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.
resetpassword
A new window will open, like this:
http://www.macobserver.com/imgs/tmo_articles/20140617resetpassword1a.jpg
Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.
When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.
Let me know the results please