Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.

Why did this show up after a hard reboot? I've never

Customer Question

Why did this show up after a hard reboot? I've never seen it before. MacBook Pro has been giving me freezing and browser crashes. I'm on the update right before capitan
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi Nickee! That is the OS X Recovery screen, and it appears you are being prompted to reinstall your operating system. If you power your Macbook completely off and then restart it, does it allow you to boot normally?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

actually i chose the drive on the left and it started normally.

Should I be concerned?

What should I do about the crashing and slowness?

I'm glad it booted normally after choosing the "hard drive" option.

Regarding the crashing and slowness, we'll need to narrow down whether the problem is solely software-related, or whether failing hardware may be to blame.

Let's start with testing the latter first:

1. Launch Disk Utility, found within the /Applications/Utilities folder
  2. Select the Mac hard drive from the left side menu and click on the “First Aid” tab
  3. Click on “Verify Disk” in the lower right corner and let it run

You will find the window populating with messages about the drives health, messages that indicate things are fine appear in black, messages that indicate something is wrong appears in red. Ideally, at the end of the scan, you should end up with a message of “The partition map appears to be OK”, indicating that no errors have been found.

If the test *does* show errors, click on the option to REPAIR. Let me know what happens, and we'll continue from there!

Hi again Nickee! It's been awhile since we chatted, so I wanted to check back in and see if you had any other questions regarding your computer?

Thanks...I look forward to hearing back from you!