Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I recently stacked my 3 - iOmega 1 TB external hard drives

Customer Question

I recently stacked my 3 - iOmega 1 TB external hard drives next to my studio speaker monitors- like inches away from them, and I'm afraid the magnet from the speaker wiped out my photos and data all together since the drives don't even pop up anymore upon powering up. Is there a way to recover these files? It's mainly the thousands of photos and videos I want saved if possible- thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me the version of windows or mac you are running please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The external hard drives won't appear on any computer Mac or pic that I connect to- I don't think it's a Mac issue- not sure why this question went to a Mac expert- I couldn't figure out how to pick he expert category here-
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

its ok, the PC, which version of windows is it running?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've tried all the macs in my house, a 2008 MacBook white, a 2007 iMac, and my wife's 2014 MacBook Pro as well as numerous pc's at my job none of them recognize the drives and if they do they have no info on them like they used to- it's not the Mac or pc with the problem- it's the drives since 6-7 of the computers all won't show the external drives
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

IU am not saying it is the computer that's at fault, I am asking for the version of windows you have.

I am not sure why we are not able to past this initial question..... Can you answer it please? Or would you rather another expert that does not ask this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not know what version of Mac I am running- I think mountain lion on 2 of them- and whatever the 2014 MacBook Pro came loaded with- and I am not near those computers now to get into their settings to be more specific- there are probably 7 computers total that the drives do not load or show up on- I guess that is why I'm not sure why the version matters- but my apologies for not answering that directly- I just literally do not know what versions they are-
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
actually on 3 of our macs they immediately started working poorly and slower every time we updated the version- but external drives haven't been the same for longer than the versions have changed- I don't upgrade the versions anymore actually
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Windows, I want to do this on windows so I have been asking which version of windows are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a Windows computer here at home- only at work and friends houses- sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

OK, then please reply when you are at the PC

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That won't be until August when school starts again- why does it have to be from a PC when I only own macs?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Because there are tools to run that only run on windows computers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok- understood- any tools for my macs here at home? I will check the version on the faster MacBook Pro in the morning
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

No, not if they do not even show up

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok- so if I can get my external drives hooked up to a PC-which I can probably borrow- what version of Windows would be ideal to try?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

any is ok