Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.
13568747

My wife's PC is dying and I'm thinking of replacing it with

Customer Question

My wife's PC is dying and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Mac. She mostly uses the computer for email (Outlook), the internet and writing is MS Word. Also occasional use of iTunes for ripping CDs and moving the music to her iPos. She not very technical, but from my (limited) experience with Macs, I don't think she'll have trouble making the switch.
But I'm wondering about a few things:
1) I assume moving documents from Word 2013 for Windows to Word for the Mac will be largely a non-issue?
2) How easy is it to move email from PC to Mac? Is Outlook the way to go for email on the Mac, or is there something better (like the Mac built-in mail program)? She doesn't use the Calendar or Note features of Outlook - strictly email.
3) My biggest concern: As a backup alternative if her PC temporarily goes down, or if traveling, we have her files backed up on an external hard drive, including the PST file from Outlook. In the event of a problem with the PC, we have a laptop that can be hooked up to the external HD and she can work on that. What are my options with the Mac? Other than buying a Mac laptop (which I'm reluctant to do due to the cost) to replicate my current system, how can I do it? Is there a way to do it via an iPad? Convert a Mac PST file to use on a PC laptop? Or some other idea?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Moving documents from one form of MS Word to one based on Apple will require some effort, but if you use the Migration Assistant on the Apple computer, it may be fairly systematic enough.

It will be easier for her to convert to Apple, if you have Outlook for Mac on the new computer, I think.

As for whether another sort of email package would be 'better': does she complain about Outlook, as it is? if not, then nothing's better than a no-complaints sort of thing.

A PST file from Windows can be imported into MS Outlook for Mac ... the opposite operation may not be so easy. Everything I've found so far is about the reverse direction of transfer and Import of a PST file.

Note that MBOX files are used in Apple Mail, but PST files in Outlook - so there definitely would be a conversion effort if Outlook for Mac wasn't what is to be used.