ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

You may be able to use the built-in password ***** utility to reset the password. Try these steps:

To get started, you will need to restart your computer. Press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password *****. All you have to do now is select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password or leave it blank and click Save. Then just simply restart the computer from the Apple menu and login with your new password.

If that resolved the issue, please use the rating box at the top to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. If that did NOT resolve the issue, then just let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting.