Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need help to fix my mac.. While trying to factory restore,

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I need help to fix my mac.. While trying to factory restore, a big null sign has appeared on my screen.. I can't log into..
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 13 inch high performance notebook with retina display
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried pressing command and R key
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

What method did you use to do the factory restore ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I followed a procedure from internet.. Clicking command and R together
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I pay more, would you gonna fix from there? How it works.. Like, how would you able to troubleshoot my mac?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Since your Mac is not booting up, I will not be able to troubleshoot and fix it myself remotely from here. So please ignore the remote support offer. I will send you instructions to fix it in in here without any additional payment.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It seems like you erased the system files and now your Mac is unable to find the system files to load. If you are trying to erase the Mac and install fresh OS X, then follow the steps below;

Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 5-10 seconds. Turn on your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. If that didn't boot into OS X Utilities screen, then restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 20 seconds and this will boot into OS X Utilities screen.

If you want to erase the Mac, then click Disk Utility in OS X Utilities screen. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column which would be Macintosh HD or Mac HD (the second one in the list). Select it, click on Erase tab and click Erase button. Then close Disk Utility.

Click Reinstall OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall it.

If you don't want to erase the Mac, then don't use Disk Utility to erase it. Instead, click Reinstall OS X.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok give me some time
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

No problem, take your time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried first one ans it didn't work and I was trying to follow the second one, now my mac gone.. It's not opening.. And it's not showing any signals
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It is off. Just press the Power button and it will turn on

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If your Mac is running, but showing black screen then hold down Power button for 5-10 seconds. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 20 seconds. Does it boot into OS X utilities screen or internet recovery ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yay! Opened.. It says choose network :)
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Great. It is trying to boot into internet recovery. Choose your WiFi or connect it to your network.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Let me know once it boot into internet recovery or OS X Utilities screen

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok.. It's taking time
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, let it complete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Omg! It is taking too long
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It is supposed to do so because you probably deleted core system files when you tried to factory restore it and now it is loading the necessary files from internet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The time shows in there is not correct. It may take more than that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it typically gonna take more than an hrs?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Not hours but 5-30 minutes is normal. It may fail if there is any issue with internet or if the internet is slow.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I see.. Btw, are you from India? Your name sound familiar to me!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

One more thing, add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me on this question any time you want via that bookmark/page without any more payment. This question will not be closed

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much! Right now, I am on phone, how do I bookmark?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You're very welcome. Which model of phone is this ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

How is the download going ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
May be bcoz of slow internet, it has downloaded yet!!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has not*
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It shouldn't take this much time. How much to go ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Finally, done!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Are you in OS X Utilities screen now ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has written disk utility
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If you want to erase the Mac, then click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column which would be Macintosh HD or Mac HD (the second one in the list). Select it, click on Erase tab and click Erase button. Then close Disk Utility.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did as as you said, but When I clicked on OS X reinstall, it said me 'to download and restore OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple' , and I clicked continue. Now m' it says, ' Could not find installation information for this machine' :(
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click on Disk Utility again. This time click the first in the list of disk. Click on Partition1, select 1 partition and click Apply. Then reinstall

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where to click?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It does not show Partition1.. There is only partition at the top when I clicked there it shows like this.. Let me send u pic again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I click on partition, it shows like this
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click on Apple SSD (under Internal) and click Partition. Then click Apply button

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click on Apple SSD in Disk Utility. Then click on Partition button. Under the chart, click + and this will make it two partition. Then click - and this will make it one. Now just click Apply button and close it when it is finished. Then reinstall OS X.

Remember, you need an high speed internet to reinstall OS X. The OS X is a 6GB file to download.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did as u instructed, but again, it doesn't allow me to click apply button.. Do I have to change formate too? Would you mind checking on this pic, plz?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Change the size to 120.123 and does it bring the Apply button ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Click Apply

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lol! It said operation failed after I clicked apply..
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

That is strange. Change it back to 121.123

Change the format to second one. Click Apply

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yay! Operation successful.. Now, click done ryt?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Not yet. Change the format back to OS X Extended (Journaled) and click Apply again

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I change formate to OS X Extended (journaled) it automatically shows size 120.473.. Do I have to change that or simply click apply?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Just click Apply

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Operation successful! What is next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Close Disk Utility. Click Reinstall OS X

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Re installation requires an high speed internet and this process will take a few hours for decent speed internet. It will fail if you don't have an high speed internet. The size of OS X is almost 6GB and it will take a while to download and install.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Man! Something came up on window.. I didn't notice when did it pop up.. :(
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Close it. Click on File menu and select Enable Journaling.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Wait a min. Are you try to partition OS X Base System ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
File is not allowing me to click on enable journaling
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is that again? I am just following you.. I have no idea
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I think you clicked on something else accidentally. Lets try again. Close that screen.

In Disk Utility, select Apple SSD in left column. Click on Partition.

Change the format to second one and click Apply. Once it is completed, change it back to OS X Extended (Journaled and Apply again. Once the operation is completed, click on Macintosh HD in left column. Then click on Erase button and click Erase. Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did that already! But thing is I did not notice when did this box appeared on screen behind.. Now it's not going even I clicked on ok.. I can't go back to where I was before..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
First, I need to throw this to start again..
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Press Esc key on your keyboard and does it go away ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Press return key on your keyboard for a few times continuously

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Worked... Now, do you want me to click on disk utility?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ignore that pic..
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, click Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select Apple SSD in left column. Click on Partition.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Done! What is the next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Select Macintosh HD. Click Erase button and erase it. If you already did this, then close Disk Utility. Now click Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says the same thing like at the beginning.. "Could not find installation information for this Machine".
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

That means core installation files were deleted. Do you have access to another Mac ? If so, we can create the installation files from that Mac

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't have another mac.. Does it work from iPhone?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does it have to be a mac itself?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

That error also happens if your internet isn't fast enough or if there is any issue with internet. It doesn't mean there is something wrong with the Mac.

Yes, it has to be a Mac so we can download the latest OS X on that Mac, copy it to a flash drive and install it on your Mac from that flash/USB drive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Option 1 : If you don't have another Mac, then you have to buy the Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan USB Installation media from online. Then you can put it on your Mac, boot into it and reinstall OS X from it. This will definitely work as we are reinstalling from offline media and doesn't depend on internet connection.

You can buy it from here --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-APPLE-MAC-OS-X-10-11-5-EL-CAPITAN-INSTALL-RECOVERY-BOOTABLE-USB-FLASH-DRIVE-/131755147246?hash=item1ead37ffee:g:w9IAAOSwxp9W6vCr

Option 2 : You can connect your Mac to your router with Ethernet cable or to another WiFI network (with high speed internet). Then restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys. This will boot into Internet Recovery and try to reinstall again (you don't have to go through Disk Utility steps again)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I stayed a whole night for this.. Right now, its almost 6:00 am.. :( since I don't have another mac, it seems like work done equal to zero.. Anyway, Thank you so much for your helps.. You tried as much as you can to help me.. I appreciated that :)
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about that. It is the internet causing this issue. It has to be fast enough to download the OS X like I mentioned before or it will fail.

Did you get my previous answer ? You have two options in here

When you get the OS X drive from eBay.com, just connect it to your Mac. Then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard. This will load startup manager. Select the USB drive in there and press return. This will boot into USB installer. Click Reinstall OS X in there. This will definitely work as it doesn't depend internet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If you have Ethernet cable there, then connect the Mac to your router with Ethernet cable. Then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at same time for a few seconds. This will boot into Internet recovery.

Click Reinstall OS X. You don't have to go through the Disk Utility steps again as we already cleared that part. Your Mac is ready to reinstall, but it just need a fast internet.

If that didn't work, then you need to buy the Installer drive from eBay. You can buy it from here --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-APPLE-MAC-OS-X-10-11-5-EL-CAPITAN-INSTALL-RECOVERY-BOOTABLE-USB-FLASH-DRIVE-/131755147246?hash=item1ead37ffee:g:w9IAAOSwxp9W6vCr

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have placed order for option 1 though that link.. I don't know when it will come.. Hope! It will work.. :) :)
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

It WILL work. The reason I asked for another Mac is that, we can easily create one like that if you have access to another Mac there. Keep a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me when you get that drive.

You should get some sleep. We can continue later. This question will not be closed.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much! I don't know exactly were you at right now. Whereever, in india or U.S, have a great time ahead! Bye.. If I need your help, I will come back. Thanks again...
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You're most welcome and thank you very much :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey there! I had trust you guys.. When I had start this conversation that has told be that they will only charge 5 dollar until my problem resolve.. Now, again, they pull 20 dollars from my card.. What is this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I believe that is only a safe deposit you make here to unlock answers. It is fully refundable if I couldn't solve your problem.

Please remember, I'm only a tech in here and I don't have access to any of your account details to process or refund charges

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

For all questions related to charges, you can contact***@******.*** and they will help you with that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
May be you are not the one who is pulling my money.. I don't need any help now.. If I keep writing you they will keep pulling my money.. So, You may close this account.. I won't come to bother you.. I feel really bad!!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

I'm not charging it. I'm only a tech in here. You will not be charged anything more. The amount you got charged was the deposit you make here to see the answers and connect with techs. And you only release the payment if you are 100% satisfied.

If you are not satisfied, then you can contact***@******.*** and they will refund your account. This is a BBB accredited site and you can trust this website.

Best Regards,