Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Just powered up my mac and it comes on shows the apple logo

Customer Question

Just powered up my mac and it comes on shows the apple logo then after a minute it's turns blue what can I do
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac book pro I think linxus lion not sure
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Pressing command and r key together that's it's to boot it up do I need to put it in safe mode
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not at this moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive.It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for20seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi my comp went black whilst in verify it's on but no screen showing
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

It souds like the hard drive is failing. Can you restart and try to reinstall OS X ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll try that process again and see what happens I could but how do I install
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

You can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.

Hold down the Power button for 5-10 seconds to turn off your Mac. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

If that didn't work,then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hey its said after verifying that hard drive ok then went blue
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Please reinstall the OS X. Disk Utility may not be able to detect physical failure in the Hard drive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have a wee problem my son set up an iTunes account so he knows his apple I'd which I need to. Reinstall my ox system his phones off is there anyway to override this so u can install
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Sounds like you are on older version of OS X and to reinstall, you need to know his Apple ID and password. It is asking for verification purposes. You can't over ride it.

Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and this time hold down Command, Option and R keys and this will boot into Internet recovery. Does it allow you to reinstall from there ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How long does this process normally take
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

If it is showing globe and loading bar, then it may take from 5-30 minutes normally. It may take more to load if your internet connection is slow

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I've tried this it showed a counter when that ended it went white and now I can here a fan
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Give it a few more minutes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've switched it off didn't like the sound of the fan ok ill try this again
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Don't turn it on yet. Try the following first

Shut down the computer.

Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.

On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

After this restart and boot into OS X Utilities holding down Command, OPtion and R

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I ask you to try and fix it will it cost me an extra 28 Inc 22 pounds I've already paid ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry, since your Mac is not booting up I will not be able to connect to your Mac and fix it from here remotely. So please ignore that offer.

Is it not loading to OS X Utilities screen when you hold down Command, Option and R ?

If not, then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and V for a few seconds and this will bring a black screen with letters. What does the last line says ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done previous instructions yet will do this now
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

I'm afraid this is an hardware issue. It is the possible that the internal hard drive is failing or it could be the connection or internal board and that is what is preventing it from loading internet recovery. You may need to take it to the Apple Store to get the drive replaced. The hard drive replacement may cost up to $120 GBP

But before I send you out to do that, let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair. Try the above steps and let me know the results please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok will do I don't have that sort of money to pay for expenses will contact you when I have gone through all the procedures thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 11 months ago.

Thanks. I hope it is not hardware related. Good luck