Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My computer won't start up. I get the apple and then a

Customer Question

My computer won't start up. I get the apple and then a circle with a line through it??
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: MacBook Air. Not sure of the operating system. Just bought it last January 2015.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just turning it off and on. Found some info on pushing command, option and p and r together, but then it asked me a bunch of questions and I wasn't sure which way to go because I am so afraid to erase my whole computer or something....
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

OK restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doesn't work....what's the next option? I am so freaked that I am going to lose all my files....
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I royal screwed it up...something popped up earlier about FileVault and I clicked okay, but then shut it off because I thought I screwed something up and now it won't start up....
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

It is late here I have to sign off for tonight. If that is ok and you still can't boot do that again but this time choose Reinstall Mac OS X. Let me know.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

What happened?