Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Safari opens 10-15 seconds - doesn't connect to the Internet

Customer Question

Safari opens for about 10-15 seconds - doesn't connect to the Internet and then closes
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started about 1/2 hr ago
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Worked well before. I plugged into hdmi on my tv using the mini display port on the mac
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Since then it has not worked - oh and I also used google chrome for Netflix - after that the safari would not open
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Mac book pro 13 inch - using OS X Capitan. 10.11.5
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It is possible that Safari is got infected with adware or you may be installed any incompatible software. So first, using Chrome, download this AntiMalware application --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Open the downloaded AntiMalware, open it and run a scan with it. Remove all malware/adwares if it finds anything. Then hold down Shift key and open Safari. Does it work now ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't open google chrome either?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

That is strange. Hold down Shift key and open Chrome or Safari. Does it open ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chrome won't open at all - safari for about 5 seconds
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Did you recently install any toolbar or plugins ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I plugged my Mac into hdmi on tv using mini adaptor to watch Netflix on chrome
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

That shouldn't cause the issue.

In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. Open Internet Plugins folders and trash all files.

Then click on Go menu and select GO To Folder. Type the following and press return

/Library/

Open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files. Then turn off Internet or WiFi and open Safari while holding down Shift. Does it open ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no options key in finder
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

I mean Option key on your keyboard.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hold down options key bottom left on keyboard and nothing happens
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

I think you are not following the instructions correctly. In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, while holding down click on Go menu the top bar and select Library.

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

See this picture --> http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/access-library-lion.jpg

You will see Library in Go menu only if you hold down option key on keyboard

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am trying to trash it but get the message - the operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50). The file says citric online web dep
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry it finishes the file with ...in.plugin
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Lets boot into Safe Mode and do it from there. Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. This will boot into Safe Mode. Then follow the steps in Safe Mode.

/Library/

Open Internet Plugins folder and trash all files. Then turn off Internet or WiFi and open Safari while holding down Shift.

We're trying to delete all plugins to make sure they are not causing it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I know it is in safe mode?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

If you hold down Shift key for 20 seconds immediately after turning it on, then it boot into Safe Mode. It may also say Safe boot at top bar or side

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now it isn't doing anything - it was almost open and then it disappeared and the screen is not black but it is dark with nothing on it
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It will take up to 20 minutes to boot into Safe Mode as some repairs will run in Safe mode boot.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, you did not tell me that I just shut it off. I will do it again
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that. Boot it into Safe mode

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, I still have a screen that is not fully dark but nothing is on it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Give it 10 more minutes

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

If it still not working, then we can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk/SSD at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can try that if you like. My screen currently is dark but I can see my mouse key on it and it moves around
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It seems like some core system files are corrupted. That is why it is not booting into Safe Mode. Run Disk Utility and see if it returns any errors

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Very strange, I just had a new hard drive put in it on Friday!! Very frustrating
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

I understand the frustration. These kind of issues are common with Macs. Run Disk Utility and see if it returns any errors

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ran very quickly - it showed OS X Base system and that is what I ran first aid - ran very quickly and said there were no issues. It says the volume OS X Base System appears to be OK
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Restart and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at same time for 3 seconds. Then release the keys and let it boot.

Do you have another computer there, so you can download and AntiMalware on it and copy it to your Mac ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sorry I do not
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey it just opened Safari and it stayed open and I am now in the Internet? Should I run the malware program
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Yes. Run it ASAP

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the malware program again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Here is the direct link --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I run the free program and now I get a message saying - Safari could not download the file MBAM-MAC-1.2.4.584.dmg because thee is not enough free disk space - I know I have lots of space?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Are you able to open Chrome ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

I think I now know the problem. None of your application is able to access the resources properly like files, folders etc to work. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Go To Folder. Type the following and press return

/Users/

This will open the Users folder. In Users folder, you will see the home folder. Select the home folder and press Command and I key

This will bring Get Info window. In Get Info, you will see Sharing and Permission at the bottom. In Sharing and Permission, click + button and add your user account if it is not already there. Then next to your User Account, click the small arrow (under Privilege) and select Read and Write. Select it again even it is already selected there.

Now click on the small lock on the right side and unlock it. Then click on gear like icon (Settings) and select Apply to Enclosed items. Let it complete the process

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am there as mac owner and it was selected as read and write and I did it again then I hit the unlock and a box came up saying Unapproved caller - security agent may only be invoked by Apple Software
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

That is a rare problem and indicating system files are corrupted. It is not clear what caused this. Do you have any important files on yoru Mac ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
everything I have is on it. I will back up tomorrow
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went and got my neighbors computer - I have a thumb drive - can I download that malware file and then upload onto the Mac?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

It is not a malware issue. But Yes, download from that computer, copy it to a flash drive and run it on your Mac.

I want you to backup ASAP. We may need to reinstall OS X, but I'm trying to avoid that as it takes couple of hours. It is not just Chrome or Safari that has affected. Many apps that access system library may have this problem.

After backing up, I want you to run Disk Utility Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time.Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and-fy)

If you can' run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a hard drive big enough to back up my Mac - I will have to purchase one in the morning - I only have this 64G thumb drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

That is not enough, but you can backup your very important files to it now. External hard drives are a must have device and it is worth it. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me via that page and we can continue tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know - I have one but it is packed away in a box - we are moving as the moment. I will have to buy a new one tomorrow. Thanks - I am on my iPad to talk to you - how can I book mark this so that I can continue tomorrow?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. Tap on the Share button and tap Add Bookmark or tap Add to Home Screen. This will add the bookmark to home screen.