Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am trying to download a whole folder of data on my Mac

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to download a whole folder of data on my Mac using the web service Dropbox. When I highlight the folder and click download on the option bar on the top of the page, I end up downloading a small text file of the URL rather then a compressed folder of data. I can not figure out how to get the folder to download. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi Customer! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through I am reviewing your question and will be with you in a few moments!

Do you know if the amount of data in the folder you are attempting to download might be larger than 1GB in size or contain more than 10,000 files? If so, this symptom could result; they limit file downloads to 1GB.

To get around this issue, use the Dropbox website to divide your files into multiple folders, and then download each of the smaller folders. Alternatively, of course, the Dropbox app can be configured to sync your folders and is not subject to file limitations.

Please let me know if you do not believe this is the problem, and we'll keep working toward a solution!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I figured it out