kanoko, Mac Guru
Experience:  5+ years of Mac expertise

Suddenly, I am getting a notice that my g-raid mini is not

Customer Question

Suddenly, I am getting a notice that my g-raid mini is not backing up to the time machine. We have had this system in place since 2011. I looked at the apple menu and did some preliminary searching and the computer recognizes the g-raid, and there is plenty of space left. What do you think is the problem. Could it be that I am out of working memory on this old machine? I haven't gotten a warning on that but I know I'm probably getting pretty close.
Category: Mac
Expert:  kanoko replied 4 months ago.

I would be glad to help. It's possible you have renamed your drive, or that your system recognizes it as a different drive for another reason. I would simply follow Apple's directions to transfer your backups from one drive to another. However, since you are still using the same drive, you can skip the section "Copy your backup data from your original drive to your new drive". But in place of this skipped section I would copy your "Backups.backupdb" folder to your machine's desktop temporarily, in case Time Machine doesn't recognize the backups on the drive and erases them. If the backups aren't available after following the instructions, simply copy the folder from your desktop back to your drive in the same location at the root of your drive. and it should be back to normal. The page with these instructions can be found here:

Let me know if you run into any trouble along the way or if any of the instructions are unclear. Also be careful not to reformat your drive as instructed in step one, as this will erase all of your existing backups on that drive. If your drive is not already using the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system, we will need to try a different solution all together. Let me know if that is the case, and do not follow through with those directions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure I follow you. I don't understand why, when after all these years and absolutely nothing has changed on this end, the g-raid is not backing up. NOTHING has changed here. I am not a computer wizard. I don't do anything but check email and do banking. This computer was set up by my husband, who was the computer wizard and who suffered a brain injury and cannot help me anymore. Something has happened internally and I don't have a clue what it is.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
David, I just solved my own problem. I was looking at the top of my screen at the little icons at the top and I saw one I didn't recognize. It was a link to my son's private server, "owncloud". I quit that. It must have come up when I restarted the computer after updated applications a few days ago or something. Then I went to the time machine icon and clicked "update now". The g-raid mini started humming away. Something about having the private server on my computer prevented my backups.