Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.

How to disable a lost iPad, iPad air, Nothing so far. No.

Customer Question

How to disable a lost iPad
JA: How old is your iPad, and what model are you using?
Customer: iPad air
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing so far.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I'm sorry to hear about your lost iPad.

You'll want to start by signing into Once signed in, click "Find iPhone" (even though this isn't an iPhone) and then, at the top of the next screen, use the dropdown menu to select the device in question. Once selected, you'll be presented with a few action options -- two of these may be applicable.

• Lost Mode: Enable Lost Mode as soon as possible when your device is lost or stolen. Lost Mode allows you to set a new passcode to prevent the thief from using your device. You can also enter a custom message that will be displayed on the device’s lock screen — you could provide details of where you can be reached if someone finds the device. The message will persist even through factory resets on iOS 7+. “Activation lock” will also prevent people from activating the device without your original iCloud ID and password, so thieves won’t be able to resell or keep using your device. Lost Mode also enables a location tracking history, so you can sign into the iCloud website and track the device’s movements over time. If the device is currently offline, Lost Mode will be activated the next time it connects.
  • Erase: You can also remotely erase the device, removing any sensitive personal or business data. On iOS 7 and newer, you can set a phone number and message that will be displayed on the screen after the device is erased so someone can contact you if they find it. The Erase feature should be used as a last resort — in most cases, Lost Mode and Lock should allow you to secure your data and continue remotely tracking your device.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions.