Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Thanks! I'm Darice. I tried to delete one keychain password

Customer Question

Thanks! I'm Darice. I tried to delete one keychain password ***** I obviously chose wrong and now I think there's a missing keychain. I can't even log into icloud because "no keychain to store .."
JA: Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know their way around the iCloud, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: Thank you. I can't even reset Keychain Access.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: going into the trash, but I only found a keychain icon
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it. Thank you!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi Darice! I've got something we can try. Please give this a shot and let me know if it helps:

1. Open Keychain Access (located in the 'Utilities' folder)
  2. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu > select "Preferences"
  3. Click the "First Aid" tab
  4. Make sure the "Synchronize login keychain password" box is checked.
  5. Close the Preferences window.
  6. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Keychain First Aid"
  7. Enter the administrator's username & password
  8. Click the "Repair" button.
  9. Click the 'Verify' button.

Now go ahead and restore all the missing, previously saved passwords back into Keychain Access:
1.) Quit the Keychain Access app.
2.) Goto ~/Library/Keychain/login.keychain file, then highlight it
3.) Enter Time Machine
4.) Goto a previous date's restore-point wherein Keychain Access held all your passwords correctly
5.) Click on 'Restore this file' —> replace the unwanted current version of this file;
6.) Goto ~/Library/Preferences/ file, then highlight it
7.) Once again, enter Time Machine
8.) Select that very same previous restore-point-date that was used to restore the login.keychain file
9.) Click on 'Restore this file' —> replace the unwanted current version of this file.

Reopen the Keychain Access app and assure that all inadvertently deleted passwords were indeed restored,
and then
Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Keychain First Aid"
Enter the account's username & password
Click the "Repair" button.

Close the Keychain Access app.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a first aid tab in Keychain Access > Preferences
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But I'm going to try the second half of your suggestion. I can't find first aid anywhere.

Hi can skip that step and begin again at step 6; the FirstAid tab is not present in all versions of OS X.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. Number 6 didn't work. I had created a new keychain and that's being used now. Of course I can't get back into it because the numerical code is not what I thought. I really don't know what I did or how to get it back. Any other thoughts?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I don't think I can recover whatever I deleted. I don't have trouble anymore logging into things. I almost think I deleted the Login Key ...
Thank you for your time.