Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have an iMac running El Capitan. I cannot connect to the

Customer Question

I have an iMac running El Capitan. I cannot connect to the apple id server
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Did you just install it or did this happen after?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Happened after
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Ok so you can't login or open the App Store or what exactly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can log on to the app store but when asked for my password, it says I cannot connect to the server. the same happens in iTunes, and iCloud.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run. Then restart and try again

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did all that you requested. When I restarted the computer, I got the following message: Preference Error: could not load iCloud preference pane
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

OK I suggest you do that again but this time choose Reinstall Mac OS X

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

What happened?