Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Apple Address Book app has vanished! How do I retrieve

Customer Question

My Apple Address Book app has vanished! How do I retrieve it?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: It just started.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing as yet. Not only that, my entire Applications folder disappeared!
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Will it cost $?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

5$ is just the initial good faith deposit. With that being said,

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Version 10.6.8 Mac OS X
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

So your applications folder and address book dissapeared..

Question, did you by change sign into or create a new account on your mac?

If you go to system prefers, user accounts. Do you have more then one account showing?

If not, then your applications folder is probably just hidden. To fix it, open your finder / spotlght/ magnifying galss and type in terminal

Then start the terminal app and run this command

sudo chflags nohidden /Applications

Hit enter, then type in your macs admin password, the one you use to boot the mac. It wont sh ow you typing so be careful when you enter it.. Then press en ter.

T hen, see if the applications folder is showing.. If so, try to launch your address book now.. will it open?

If you get stuck at any point let me know where, so I can assist you further.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.