Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, CCIE
Experience:  Software Development Engineer
94796889

Equipment 2 Macbooks wireless 1 windows desk top ethernet

Customer Question

Equipment2 Macbooks wireless1 windows desk top ethernetAsus rt-n66r routera WD mycloud back up hard drive connected to the router via ethernetI have been trying to back up one macbook using time machine, very little speed and its uselesstried formatting the drive with disk utility El Cap version, will not unmount.I am trying to get my new HD to be a mass storage drive for all my computers.can anyone help me figure this out?Paul
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 5 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm interested in advice here in this format.I am attempting to format a drive through my router,My first question is this possible or do I have to directly plug the HD into a computer,second question, do I have to partition the drive and have a NTSF format and a FAT32 for the windows machine?Thank you

Okay which WD MyCloud disk you are using ? There are My Cloud EX2100, EX4100, DL2100, DL4100...etc

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am attaching a photo of the label. I see no designation for model number
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Software version 1.0.7.13
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I installed the latest firmware last night

Okay, open safari. Go to http://wdmycloud.local/ Do you getting the dashboard ?

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually have an icon on my desk top to access this dashboard but I am there
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
TimeMachineBackupShare Profile
Share Name
TimeMachineBackup
Share Description
TimeMachine
Media Serving ON
Public Access ON
Usage 7.4 GB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
firmware WDMyCloud v04.04.03-113 : Core F/W

Is there a setiings button (with gear icon ) ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got you the firmware version from there

Okay, then click on Settings. Then click on Utilities. In the Utilities area, scroll all the way to the bottom to find Format Disk. Click on the downloads arrow next to All Volume(s) to select particular volumes that are to be deleted, if the unit is set in a RAID configuration that holds various volumes. Alternatively, select All Volume(s) to delete everything on the device. When ready, click on Format Disk.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is what is in utilitiesSystem Diagnostics
Diagnostics Test Quick Test Full Test
System Factory Restore
Factory Restore System Only Quick Restore Full Restore
System Configuration
System Config Save Config File Import File
Device Maintenance
Device Power Shutdown Reboot
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I found instructions like the ones you sent, but I also found the numbers that apply and my model as not included. I can not find a model type associated with the P/S #

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry,I'm not spending $40 on this.I will have to find another tech,Thank you for you help.Paul

Okay, then let me optout.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=1391My model is a SAMBA device. it can not be formatted as described.I will find the answer somewhere
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 5 months ago.

Hi Conecaster! I totally understand your frustration. I've got the same WD mycloud and Asus router on my home network along with a couple Windows desktops and a Mac. I'd love to help you, but I want to make sure I'm giving you the help you are looking for. Are you trying to use your WD mycloud to share files between all of your computers? Backup? Both? Let me know and I'll try to write-up what you need. We'll figure this out.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you Ben,I called WD, they first wanted to blame the ethernet cable, the one they provided, then they wanted to blame the internet connection!!!, I should be able to unplug the Modem and still use the router for networking. They told me to run time machine for a few hours and let them know if it speeds up after a few hours.Yes, I am trying to use the Mycloud to back up 3 computers, it would good to have three separate backups.Asus tells me its slow because I am going from a wireless connection to an ethernet.The mycloud is a Samba format and can not be formattedWhat do you think?P
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After about 3 hours Timemachine has transferred about 8 GBs.P
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just checked at 5:46 it moved a GB in 13 minutes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm up to 41 gigs, The computer goes to sleep and it stops.
I haven't setup my mac to work with my passport yet, I will take a look and see if I can duplicate your issue. I know when I backed up my desktops via ethernet it took forever. Also, I have been able to use it as a network storage. I copied a few games from my hard drive to th WD to save space and then transferred it back. Do you know how to check your connection speed over wifi? If you are connected via 2.4ghz, you can try switching to 5ghz and that will help. Also, you could try connecting with a cable and getting the first backup done. Then subsequent backups would only need to transfer the delta, or changes between your base data and any changed files.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bought a Passport and discovered it would not work unless plugged into a computer. That is why I got a Mycloud.I'm not if the Passport is Samba or not.I do not remember which port the mycloud is running through. But My computer's wireless connect is 5 ghz.P
Oh, I meant plug your computer into the router instead of connecting to your network via wifi (turn off wifi to make sure it is used the wired connection can help).Sorry if that was unclear. The McCloud would be a samba share but the hard drives you plugin to usb would likely be ntfa or fat 32 (I would need to look).Anyway, if you plug the computer unto wired and the data goes faster, we can look at trouble shooting the wifi. If it is still slow, then likely your wifi is not to blame. I am trying to help you eliminate possible issues.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Ben,I hooked up the WD to my computer directly and attempted to back up both by direct transfer into the HD window and by timemachine.I can get no speed out of the HD . Only a few MBsIn the direct transfer I tried a 9.5 gb file and it would take an hour.This is nuts.P
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you understand any of this?I discovered a few things you can do to speed things up greatly, some of these might require you to have some basic knowledge of networking and how to get into your router and change settings etc. so you’ve been warned ��If you run Windows 7/8 or 8.1 you might want to follow these steps to ensure your system is properly configured for ultimate network performance.PART IMake sure all your Ethernet cables to and from the router and to and from the modem are at least CAT5e or above (ie: CAT6 or 7) and that you are using the supplied Ethernet cable that came with My Cloud or better, (if you have them) Once you have made sure all your hardware is linked up with top of the line cabling as explained, go into your Control Panel on your Windows 7/8/8.1/10 then go into “Administrative Tools” then into the “services” section and you need to make sure that the following 4 settings are set to “Automatic” and that they are (even) started:1-) DHCP Client
2-) NET TCP Port Sharing Service
3-) SSDP Discovery
4-) UPnP Device HostDoing the above helped vastly improve my transfers to and from My Cloud, Of course I would also suggest anyone experiencing slow transfers to ensure they have a Gigabit capable router too, because having CAT6/7 won’t do any good if your router is not capable of supporting the speeds those cables deliver.Before and when you first setup My Cloud is strongly suggested you momentarily turn off any alternate DNS services such as OpenDNS, on your router if it supports it and you use it, I learned that the hard way, once you have the device fully configured and up and running you can turn those services back on.PART IINow let’s go to the second part of the setup, this will ensure that you can remotely access content on your My Cloud device from the internet from anywhere in the world, after all this is the main reason we purchased this thing right?1-) Go into your router and make sure that you have set up address reservation so as to give your My Cloud a static IP on your home network.2-) Go into your router’s Port Forwarding/Triggering settings and ensure port 443 is properly configured to point to your My Cloud device local network’s IP address.3-) Go into your router’s Port Forwarding/Triggering settings and make sure port 80 is properly configured to point to your My Cloud device local network’s IP address.4-) Go into your router’s Port Forwarding/Triggering settings and setup port 20 and port 21 to properly point to your My Cloud’s device local network’s IP address, this last setting makes it possible for you to be able to remotely connect to your NAS and access all your files via the FTP protocol.I have come to realize that the initial software releases for all web interfaces and apps for My Cloud ( with the exception of the local Dashboard which I consider to be a beautiful interface, and one of the best I have ever seen in any device) to be extremely buggy at best.So as a work around the buggy software I strongly suggest anyone to download and use an FTP Client and use that instead of the official APPs and web the interface from www.wdmycloud.com there are many free good apps for Windows/Windows Phone/Android/iOS out there, For Windows I suggest FreeFTP free as its name implies or CuteFTP if you are into shareware software, both excellent programs.PART IIINow the third and last part of my guide, this includes how to properly map your My Cloud shares into your Computer in Windows for easy and quick access to your files stored in My Cloud.[……..] work in progress, I’ll update my post with this part soon.So there you have it, my small guide to make the best out of your shining new Cloud storage from WD, Enjoy and share your thoughts questions below, oh don’t forget to share my page out there if you like it, thanks!
Hey there! When you say you hooked it up directly, do you mean both the computer and my cloud are plugged into the router? It does seem slow, how fast are the reads? Those will usually be faster.I did some research and there are a few things you could do to optimize by killing indexing processes if you are open to that .by the way, did you just get this device?
Ha! I just saw what you said and that was some of what I found. My day job is working with storage systems, so I understand most of that, though I didn't do any of that to my WD device. I just let it go for a few days and it backed everything up. Do you want to try those steps together?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That would be good, Its either get it up to speed or take it back to Best Buy.I called a friend today. he plugged a HD in to his mac USB and backed up 290gbs in 2 hours.The My cloud is slow as watching steel rust.P
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can we do this tomorrow,its 11 here and I need to move on to crashing.P
Ha, sure! I was just checking on you before I went to bed myself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have attempted to use it in 3 ways, wirelessly, ethernet through the router and also plugged right into the mac.No real difference in speed between them.
I just tested with my desktop and I copied a 1.7Gb movie file in less than a minute using Windows Explorer. Have you been using WD apps or built-in Mac tools like Finder?I just looked and I am using pretty much the default configuration so I am wondering if you have a program on your Mac that is causing this. I can try with a mac tomorrow. If you want to see if it works faster with your Windows machine, that might help us narrow down the issue.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done the transfers with Time Machine, the software WD provides will not transfer on a mac, I used finder to do it.
Finder showed the rate of speed at 9.5 Gb per hour.

Yeah, that rate is pretty terrible. Pretty sure watching metal rust would be better. That is for sure too slow.

I found this: https://community.wd.com/t/time-machine-backup-how-slow-is-slow/95629/10

In that thread people mention media sharing as an issue with the MAC being disabled helped. I'm at work now(day job), but when I get home I can try that test with the mac for you and see if I can duplicate the slow speeds you are getting. If I do, then we can dive into mac-specific settings. If I don't find that same issue, you perhaps want to go to Best Buy and swap out the unit - it could be the hardware.