Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

27inch mac that starts up with chime but black screen .

Customer Question

27inch mac that starts up with chime but black screen for approx. 2min, then get white screen with apple logo and installation progress line for approx. 30sec then screen black again. Can hear the machine running but nil on screen.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: approx 2010 imac with bootcamp/windows 7 & recent upgrade to latest mac software
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: resetting SMC & PRAM with no change
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not really, just a long pause before the machine goes to installation screen on bootup
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you power off the mac.

Then hold SHIFT and with it held, power it on and keep Shift held until it either starts correctly or encounters the same problem again.

Let me know the results please.