Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My daughter got a new iPad and now her old was is saying its

Customer Question

My daughter got a new iPad and now her old was is saying its disabled and to connect to iTunes. Then when I connect it to iTunes, it says that iTunes could not connect to the iPad because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPad before it can be used with iTunes
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 8 months ago.

Have your daughter to sign in to her iCloud account at iCloud.com then choose devices and then turn off the find my iPhone feature for the iPad. She can also erase it from there. Then it will connect to your iTunes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried that and it says that it will be erased when the iPad is connected to the Internet. Well, it can't connect if I can't get in to it

Does she know the screen lock code?

If not

Please follow these steps,

• Connect the USB cable to the iPad, but leave the other end of the cable disconnected from your computer's USB port.
  • press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time.
  • When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.
  • While pressing and holding the Home button, connect the USB cable to the computer. The device should turn on.
  • Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.
  • When this screen appears you can release the Home button:
  • Then use iTunes to restore the iPad
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she does. Weird thing is, she used it and it wouldn't take it

Okay, try the restore method next.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My computer is saying that the iPad is not connected to the Internet and to connect it then try to restore again

This could be a glitch in the software and the iPhone needs to reboot, lets try and force a reboot > Hold the home button and the power button down for about 60 seconds or until the Apple logo appears on the screen, then release both buttons.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've tried that already

Okay, are you near a WiFi network that the iPad has connected to in the past?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Okay, try unplugging the power to the WiFi router for a couple minutes then connect the power back to the router. Then wait about 5 minutes and try the iPad again.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing has worked so far

okay, were you able to turn off the findmyiPhone feature in iCloud?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No because I can't sign in and Therefore can't connect to the Internet

you will need to use a computer and turn off the findmyiphone at iCloud.com using the apple id and password ***** was connected to the iPad.

Follow these steps>

1. Turn off the iPad.

2. Go to Find My iPhone on iCloud.com.

If you only see Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Settings on iCloud.com, your account just has access to iCloud web-only features and this method will not work.

3. Click All Devices, select the offline device, then click Remove from Account. If you don’t see Remove from Account, click All Devices again, then click the Delete button next to the iPad.

If the device comes online again, it reappears in Find My iPhone. If your device reappears, turn off Find My iPhone on the device (follow the instructions above for removing a device by turning off Find My iPhone), or if it’s an iOS device and you no longer have it, follow the instructions below for removing the iPad.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have tried that. It won't erase or delete the iPad because it says it's not connected to the Internet!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I keep going around and around. I can't do anything basically because I can't sign in and connect to the Internet. I'm also wondering why I was charged $25! The only charge that I ok'd was the $5. I didn't see anything about $25!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The iPad is disabled because someone has tried to access it with incorrect passcodes. It is completely disabled now, meaning all files on that iPad are gone.

Unfortunately, your only option is force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes on your compute by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode screen and get it restored)

But if she had backed up your iPad to iTunes on her computer or iCloud, then you can restore all the data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFUMode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded,youwill see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Re the charge, that was a deposit to unlock the answers in here. The value of the question I see is $30 and you only have to approve payment if we're able to fix it. If we couldn't solve the problem, then you will get full refund.