Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I use Quark 9.5.4 on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.5

Customer Question

I use Quark 9.5.4 on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
Problem/Question: My EPS exported pics all have a 'white' background. I want to use/save just the pic, not the background
1) How do I export with a transparent/clear background?
2) How do I change/control the background color of a page: a) before the document has been created, b) after the document has been created
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3) Can this issue be fixed using Photoshop?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Can you clarify you mean exported pics from Quark? I don't understand you can only export a whole page or range of pages not juts the pics?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Mike,This is the first time using Just Answer. To clarify ... is your request for $36 included in the $40 I already paid?Regarding your request for clarification: We create/amend, etc our logos in Quark. For example, I'm attaching a blank background banner (no text). The 'banner' is 3.793 x .643 but the page is 3.858 x .903. Once completed the banner has text inside plus an addition pic. When I select all parts and 'group' together then the 'whole', including all grouped parts is 3.858 x .903. I then create a new page to those exact specs (3.858 x .903) and paste the pic onto that new page. Then, File > Export page as EPS.The problem is the white page background is not part of the banner. I want a transparent page so the white 'background' does not show when we use the logo. Make sense?PS - I just noticed I cannot upload an eps file so I converted it to jpeg in Photoshop. Can Photoshop remove the white background so we can just use the logo?Dr. G
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Yes if you send the file I can do it. Quark is not the best tool for creating logos, the export feature is not for that type of thing. I would use Photoshop or better yet Illustrator.

Go here with any web browser:

http://tiny.cc/upload-to-mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Mike,Sorry for the confusion. I understand that Quark may not be the best program to use. Not sure what you're asking me to send you. Did you receive the banner file I sent and was there a 'white' background? We simply wish to know if we can 'export' just the graphic and not the white background. Or make the page background transparent. Or drop the file into Photoshop and eliminate the background. Is this doable?Dr. G
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Send me the Quark file, you can't export just the graphic that's why it is not the right tool for what you want to do.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please stand by. We are discussing this matter and I will get back to you before day's end. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

OK I don't work 24 hours a day please let me know

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Our interest in contacting this service was to ... get an answer. If, you can provide us with a step by step process that will solve our issue, ie., how to export without a white background, then we would feel justified to continue. We would prefer not to forward our logos. I did send you a sample which showed the problem. Are you able to send us an answer according to these terms? Thank you.Dr. G
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

Why don't you want to send your logo? The sample you sent is just two boxes kind of hard to tell what you want from that? Ok but it can't be done in Quark, do you have Photoshop or Illustrator?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mike, having you fix the problem by sending you the logo is not the answer we want since the problem will continue to replicate whenever we export. We want to export with a transparent background, not a white background. Is this possible in Quark? The tilted maroon box (in the file I sent you) is the base of our logo and contains other items. The white background (obviously the page color) is the problem. I have not been able to discover how to create a page with a transparent background (maybe not possible). I know how to change the background of all text blocks (Cmd-M). Anyway, yes we have Photoshop.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 months ago.

This is how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV38L4c4JKY

It has to be done each time you can't do it in Quark.