Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My imachad a flashing folder with a ? And a screen when

Customer Question

My imachad a flashing folder with a ? And a white screen when booting up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My iMac has a white screen with a flashing folder with a ? In the center when booting up.
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Have you tried to troubleshoot?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No it worked yesterday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, that screen indicates that either the system files are corrupted or the hard drive has failed suddenly. You’ll likely need to take it in to get it replaced. But before I send you out to do that, let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair.

We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for5seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for20seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : Since your Mac is not loading the OS X, I will not be able to connect to your Mac and fix it from here. So please ignore/close the secure remote assistance message you get from here and don't accept it yet. I will send you instructions in here.