Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Need to clean my mac son. Dont have install disk : just a

Customer Question

need to clean my mac for my son. Dont have install disk
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just a small about of searching, but looks like I need install disc.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

From what i know, you dont need a disc to REFRESH the OSX on a MAC.

.

Make sure to deauthorize any apps—such as iTunes or Photoshop—that you're going to download afresh, because your newly wiped computer is going to be viewed as a new machine. Dropbox finished syncing? Power cable attached? Pictures of the kids somewhere safe? Then you may proceed.

.

When you're ready to take the plunge, restart your Mac from the Apple menu and hold down Cmd+R as soon as the reboot starts. You'll be met with an OS X Utilities screen where you can access Time Machine, online help, the reinstall tool and the Disk Utility.

.

Click on Disk Utility then Continue first of all to get your Mac's hard drive wiped. Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice.

.

Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue. Follow the instructions that appear on screen, license agreements and all, and choose the hard drive to use (in most cases it'll be the only one available). Along the way you can sign in with your Apple credentials to get your apps and iCloud links back again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cmd R did not work. I am running Yosemite. Should it still work to get to Disk Utility?

let me check, Yosemite might have a different option....im showing you the Mavericks options.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made it to Macintosh HD and have options for 'First Aid', 'Erase', 'Restore'
Should I do it here?
It is not the machine I am chatting with you on.

What is the TOP of the screen say, on the Menu?

Your lookign for it to say: OSX Utilities.

The First Aid is on ElCapitan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is screen shot

Okay, your booting onto the OS, and you need to get the OSX utilities to come up BEFORE the OS loads.

.

SO reboot and try again.

.

YOu need to repeatedly press CMD+R ( dont just hold them down) over an over quickly, as SOON as the machine restarts.

and you get to the screen that looks like this:

actually it looks liek this FIRST....

This is How Apple is presenting the solution.

.

After your Mac restarts and when you see a gray screen, press and hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys at the same time. You’ll enter OS X Recovery and the first thing you’ll see is a “choose your language” screen.

Select the Reinstall OS X option after choosing a language and you’ll be walked through the process of reinstalling OS X on your Mac.

here is another method i found......which might work for you? Ive always used the methods already posted.....but...its worth a shot i guess....

.

Here is how to boot into Recovery Drive:

1. Shut down your Mac. (Apple menu > Shut Down.)
  2. Hold down the Command and R keys simultaneously and press the Power button.
  3. Keep holding Command and R until the Apple logo appears on the screen. ...
  4. You should be faced with a screen saying OS X Utilities.

second method is useing a HOLD and POWER. WHile the first is useing the POWER then press repeatedly.

the point is.....you need to get to the OSX utilities mode/menu......and this happens BEFORE OSX fully loads, and your desktop is shown.

In some rare cases, the OS X recovery partition may be missing. This may happen if the boot drive is a non-standard setup, such as a software RAID array, or if the recovery partition was manually deleted (ie, through modification of the partition tables with a drive management program).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cannot get Cmd r to work.

You can check if the partition is present, by opening the Terminal utility and running the following command:

diskutil list

see image:

is the recovery partition present?

Lastly, if your Mac supports Internet Recovery, then you can use this by holding Option-Command-R at startup (after a reboot) instead of just Command-R. This will load the same recovery tools from Apple's servers that are present on the local recovery volume and should allow you to similarly reinstall OS X.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you remotely connect, how do I know my info is secure?

in this case, theres no need for me to remotely connect, as i can NOT run the Utilities or the recovery partition from a remote session.....its a security thing.

.

Connecting remotely wont help is what i mean.

You have to physically BE AT THE MACHINE to use the recovery partition or internet Recovery for the OSX utilities to erase and reinstall OSX.

.

But, to answer your question if we WERE to do a rmeote, your info is secure as the rmeote session uses a 128 bit encryption key for session connection.

it also uses a VPN tunnel to encapsulate the data.

Which is like encrypting encryption.