Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I cant see my two external hard drives which are plugged

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I cant see my two external hard drives which are plugged into my imac. They have been there for 3 years and suddenly today they disappeared. I am trying to open 'Disk Utility' but it still hasn't opened after 20 minutes. Please can you help?
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know the iMac inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job.
Customer: Thanks
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried re booting, Unplugging the external drives and plugging them in again, unchecking and re checking the Finder/ general/ tick boxes and now am trying to open the disk utility to see if I can re-mount the drives.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please and tell me if you then see the drives again

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Then let it start and tell me if they are there please.