Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a MacBook, OS 10.9.5 with ReportCrash running

Customer Question

I have a MacBook, OS 10.9.5 with ReportCrash running constantly. How do I stop it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Can you clarify "ReportCrash". Do you mean a kernel panic the computer crashes with a gray screen? Let's check some things before we begin:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mike, I did as you instructed, verify and repair three times. but ReportCrash is still running at 40-90%CPU, fan constant. Other suggestions? Customer
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Do you mean it needed repair, was repair successful? What do you mean by "ReportCrash" is this with a particular application? Did you see my offer to remote connect I really need to see what is happening? Does it still happen in Safe Boot?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Are you there?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

I need to check your Console to see what is causing this so let me know....