Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

My issue is a macbook pro 17", Late 2011, running Yosemite

Customer Question

My issue is a macbook pro 17", Late 2011, running Yosemite 10.10.8 with 16 GB of Ram takes about 8 minutes to start up. I have already run diskutility - which says it's fine - repaired permissions twice - started in safe boot - and run that PR Command Option reset. Here's what happens: the apple comes up quickly. The status bar is slow and flcks on and off for a second in the middle. it takes 3 minutes to get to log in. I log in and get a black screen for about 30 seconds. Then the desktop and dock appear, but no hard drive icon or menu bar. It literally takes almost 3 minutes for the hard drive to appear on the desktop and the menu bar to appear. The terminal shows multiple minutes of "31m error no control socket available" which I assume must be happening during boot.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I said Yosemite 10.10.8 with 16 GB
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi there!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Firstly, how much free space is there on the hard drive of your MacBook Pro?

Nothing slows down a Mac more than having too much stored on your hard drive.

If you can free up some space, you’re sure to see an increase in speed.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Cleaning up old movie files, organizing your Desktop, and searching your Mac for old files you don’t need is the easy part. However, the hard part is cleaning up your system, and figuring out all the stuff that can be safely removed for more space. The best option is to use a Mac cleanup tool, like CleanMyMac 3. It cleans up your entire Mac, the easy stuff and the hard stuff:

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Having the latest version of OS X is good practice (the latest version right now is OS X El Capitan). Don’t think of it as adding more junk to your already slow Mac — think of it as new software that makes your Mac run more smoothly. So, update your Mac’s OS X to El Capitan to help speed it up.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Another possible cause of a slow Mac is that disk permissions are broken. Again, you can repair them with CleanMyMac 3. Download the app and go to Maintenance tab, click “Repair Disk Permissions”.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

When you start your Mac, a lot of things load up in the background. Not only do they slow down your startup, but they continue to do so the whole time you’re on your Mac.

You can lighten the load on your Mac by removing unnecessary apps. Go to your System Preferences > Users & Groups, and then click on your username. Now, click on Login Items, click on the name of an application you don't need to launch during startup, and then click the "-" symbol located below the list to the left; this will remove the application from the list — the fewer applications on the list, the better. This should help out a ton with speeding up your slow Mac.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Finally, using Activity Monitor will show you what processes are using up all of your system resources. Quitting an app that’s taking up a lot of processing power could make a huge difference in speeding up your slow Mac. Open up your Applications folder and then your Utilities folder. Here you’ll find the Activity Monitor, open it. Check out the list of apps and processes that happening on your Mac in real-time. From here you can see what’s causing trouble with your Mac. Click on the Memory tab at the top, then the Memory filter at the top of the list; this sorts the programs by the amount of space they’re taking up on your Mac RAM. The higher the number, the more power they need. Stop an app from operating by clicking on the app in the list and then clicking the gray “x” icon located at the top-left corner of the window. Don’t remove anything you don’t know though.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Does that all make sense, or is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, Pete. You did a great job of not answering my question. Most of your answer was about a slow computer - all generic stuff one could find anywhere. My question was about a very slow startup. I told you I had disabled all the startup items but you ignored that, along with my DETAILED description of the issue. There is no way I am giving you access to my computer even for free. I guess most people who contact you are total idiots and know nothing about computers so your generic advice might be helpful. Telling me how to speed up a computer which won't boot is less than useless. Have a great day.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I think you should try what I have suggested before posting such harsh criticism.

You need to follow ALL of these steps, not just the few you carried out previously.

A slow computer causes these startup problems, so you need to resolve all of the points I have mentioned.