Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My I pad air is disabled.

Customer Question

My I pad air is disabled.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

If you are locked out and the iPad is disabled, then your only option is erase the iPad from iCloud or force-restore the iPad to factory settings through iTunes on your computer by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users. (Note : DFU Mode is a method which allow you to bypass the passcode/disabled screen and get it restored)

But if you had backed up your iPad to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPad from iTunes/iCloud. You can alsore download all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Following are the two methods to fix it

Method 1 : Erase from iCloud

If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPad is connected to WiFi/internet, then you cando the erase (restore) from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps.

On your computer, goto

Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find iPhone. Select your iPad under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network). This will erase and restore your iPad . After that, setup your iPad .

If this didn't work,then please do the Method 2 following below;

Method 2 : Fix it using iTunes on your computer by putting the phone to recovery/DFU mode

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here :

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPad pres sand hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPad (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button - a downward arrow button with spinning circle around it, at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

It seems like the payment for remote assistance has failed. You bank or credit card company might be blocked them. You may need to call them to approve payment to JustAnswer, then only I'm allowed to fix your iPad remotely.

Meantime, please do the steps above to fix your iPad. Let me know if you face any difficulty.