Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

My mac pro desk top will not accept cds or dvds. The door

Customer Question

Hi, My mac pro desk top will not accept cds or dvds. The door will not stay shut, it seems to be the drive. I inserted a laser lens cleaner, but it also reject it. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there Mary and welcome

Can you do the following please.

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Then once the Mac has started, tell me if it now stays shut please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still doing the same thing
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still have the same problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

It is the internal DVD drive that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you