Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Just did an update to el capitan and now itunes will not

Customer Question

Just did an update to el capitan and now itunes will not recognize where itunes folder is, we had set up a large external hard drive for music but now it will not find it
JA: Fortunately, the tech wizards we work with know El Capitan well, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for the job. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just did an update to el capitan, on an IMac, open itunes it says can't find music library, so I go to the hard drive click on latest library, 2016-6-2...today's date. I can see folders click on music library, the list shows but itunes says, it can't read it
JA: No. I don't like to pay for everything individually. No. I don't like to pay for everything individually.
Customer: Say what
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I believe I also did an itunes update thinking they, el capitan and itunes had to agree
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 9 months ago.

I will be the person helping you today.

I can help you in one of two ways:
1) We will communicate back and forth on this page.
2) Remote support, which would allow me to take a look at the problem and fix it for you while you watch.

In my experiences, remote support saves a lot of time for everybody and is safer because if instructions are not followed correctly, it may make the problem worse or create a new problem.

As a side note, both options are covered by a 100% guarantee and fully refundable, if we are not able to fix your problem.

If you wish to choose the first option, please let me know so we can begin. If you wish to choose the second, better option, then click the Accept this Offer button for Secure Remote Assistance.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to try this chat line
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we just updated an IMac to el capitan, won't recognize itunes files, updated itunes , itunes files are stored on an external harddrive, so I have poked and can get some songs to play but not others?

Okay, first off, I would suggest making a backup of your iTunes folder on the backup drive because if the process is done incorrectly, you may lose the whole music library.

After that is complete, we can continue. Basically, you will be creating a new folder on the drive, in iTunes, choose to move the iTunes music folder to that new folder, close iTunes, and then rename the new folder to something else, and rename the current folder with your music to what the new folder was named before you changed it. After that is complete, re-open iTunes and check if all is well.