Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience:  I have been working in Technology since 1997, and have a special affinity for Apple devices.
93256567

I am trying to create a movie in iMovie and I have some

Customer Question

Hi I am trying to create a movie in iMovie and I have some small centralised images, however as they don't take up the whole frame, the background appears black. How do I change that?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Can i insert a plain white picture and superimpose the new images onto that? So it appears white
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

The solution you proposed -- placing the existing "small" image on top of a white background -- would work...you would just need to make sure that the white background itself is the same dimensions as the final movie will be. For instance, if your movie's dimensions are 1920x1080, your white background should match.

As a point of clarification, too: you would need to create this white background in a photo editing program, not in iMovie itself. You might choose to use Photoshop or GIMP; either way, you'd start with a canvas size of whatever your movie dimensions are, fill that with a white background, place your existing image onto that canvas wherever you'd like it to go, and then save that entire canvas as your new image file. That resultant image file can now be imported into iMovie and will help you avoid running into the undesired black background.

Hello! Were you able to add your images to your movie without the black background? Please let me know when you can...I'm happy to keep assisting until the problem is resolved!

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you!