Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have just bought abn apple iphone 6s. I am upgrading from

Customer Question

I have just bought abn apple iphone 6s. I am upgrading from a 4 Pleas advise proeceure,
Peter Mason
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I'm Eric, a Mac expert who's been paired with you through I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Hi Peter! Let's start by talking a little about your old iPhone (the one you are upgrading from). Was it configured to backup to iCloud? If so, that greatly simplifies setup of your iPhone need only sign into your Apple account during initial setup, and all of your apps and settings will sync. To check whether iCloud backup is enabled (and perform a final backup, if so), do this:

1. In iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
  2. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
  3. Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to Wi-Fi until the process finishes.
  4. Make sure the backup finished in Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage. It should appear with the correct date and size.

If your older iPhone was not backing up to iCloud, we can create a backup of your older phone using iTunes on your PC/Mac and then use that backup to "restore" the new phone. Start by backing up your old iPhone:

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. Open iTunes and make sure you have the latest version.
  3. Select your device.
  4. Save content that you downloaded from the iTunes Store or App Store: Click File > Devices > Transfer Purchases. Then wait for the transfer to finish.
  5. If you want to save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch, you’ll need to encrypt your backup: Select the box called Encrypt [device] backup and make a memorable password

Note:Write down your password ***** store it somewhere safe, because there's no way to recover your iTunes backups without this password.

If you don't need to save Health and Activity data, you can make a backup that isn't encrypted. Just click Back Up Now.

1. After the process completes, make sure that your backup finished successfully in iTunes Preferences > Devices. You should see the name of your device, along with the date and time that iTunes created the backup. If you encrypted your backup, you should also see beside the name of your device.

Barring that, we'll need to create a

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

It appears the previous expert has opted out.

Did you still need help with this issue?