Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My MacBook Pro mid 2009 15" just developed skinny purple

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My MacBook Pro mid 2009 15" just developed skinny purple vertical lines on my display. I have a secondary monitor which I'm using but would like to know how to fix this. One piece of information - I had to go to ER and then was in hospital for past 60 hours. Didn't turn off computer before I left, so I found this when I got home today. I can send you a photo I took with my iphone - the lines disappear when I try to take a screen shot.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I am running El Capitain 10.11.5, it is 2.66 GHz, with 8 gb of Ram and a 1TB hd
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I'm not sure. I replaced the HD and the battery about 2 months ago, and everything has been running great until now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't see an option for a $5 fully refundable deposit, just a 1 week free trial and $30/mo after with my PayPal. is that okay?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. Have you by any chance tried shutting your Macbook off since you returned home?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have shut it off and turned it back on twice.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it help if you secure connect to my mac?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

It is quite possible that it will be the easiest fastest way to diagnose. If you don't mind, let me research just a few moments please, and ask a few more questions. Have you checked to make sure that your OS is up-to-date? Have you run any hardware tests? I would tend to think hardware issue, however, that fact that it clears up when you do a screenshot puzzles me a bit. Do the lines actually clear up on the screen or do they just not show up in the screen shot that is saved?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just don't show when screen shot is saved. I sent you the photo I took. Did you get it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
oops you got it twice. i'm getting confused working with the monitor and my laptop. sorry!
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

Just got it. Thanks! I have a strong suspicion that this is a hardware problem. I recommend running the Apple Hardware Test. Pleas emake sure tha your Macbook is plugged in before doing this. Let me know if you need help with any of the steps or have any questions.

Using Apple Hardware Test

1. Shut down your computer. Then, press the power button to turn it back on.
  2. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears.
  3. It takes a minute or so for AHT to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:
  4. When the process is complete, select your language and click the right arrow. If you aren't using a mouse, you can use the up and down arrows to select a language and then press the Return key.
  5. The AHT console appears. You can choose which sort of test or tests to perform:
    • To perform all of the basic tests, click the Test button or press the "T" key or the Return key.
    • To perform a more thorough diagnostic test, select the "Perform extended testing" checkbox under the Test button before you click the Test button.

Note: Your test results will appear in the window in the bottom-right of the console.

6. To exit AHT, click Restart or Shut Down at the bottom of the window.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay - I'm setting up the test now. How do I reconnect with you after the test?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  GeekGal replied 6 months ago.

I apologize. A client had a follow up question that I thought would only take a moment. The good news fo you is that i DO answer follow up questions. I'm sorry that you had to wait though. Please bookmark this page by pressing CTRL D. Also, you should be receiving an email each time we chat. You can click on a link in any of the emails to return to the question. Thanks so much for your patience.