Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My 14 year old son died last March. He had an ipod. He

Customer Question

My 14 year old son died last March. He had an ipod. He changed the passcode and we cannot look at now. I do have his death certificate if that would help. I am a grieving mother just looking for any traces of him left in his music or notes. Is there anything I can do to unlock it without erasing it? Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac_Martin replied 4 months ago.

Hello Michelle,

I am very sorry to hear that.

The only way to get into the iPod would be to restore the operating system on it (software) which would effectively erase anything he had on it.

There is software that recovers deleted files off iPod, iPhones, etc but you'd have to spend money on something like that without certain results.

If you like I can connect to you remotely and we can take a look at the problem together.