Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

Is there a charge help? : No thanks. : I bought a used

Customer Question

Is there a charge for this help?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mac Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: No thanks.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought a used MacPro that is running OX 10.9.4. I don't know the administrator's name or password. How can I reset these?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: This MacPro is early 2009. Oh, my. I didn't realize it was this old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please send me a reply when you have an answer for me. Many thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

To reset the admin password,

Restart the MacPro. Right after you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release.

Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear.

When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.

In the terminal window type resetpassword ***** hit the Return key.

A new window will open - select your Mac and then select the desired user account in the popup.

Then enter the new password ***** A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."

Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.

If all went well, when the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password.