Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

QuarkXPress 8 will not start: : FMCore has been stopped.

Customer Question

QuarkXPress 8 will not start:
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: FMCore has been stopped. Please start it from the System Preferences pane and then relaunch QXP 8. I am paralyzed!!
JA: Is there anything else the Mac Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Sometimes I love my Mac so much, other days I want to put my iPhone and iPad inside my MacBook Pro and run over them with a truck.
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know Apple products inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Im sorry to hear about your thoughts of running your Apple products over with a truck....at times i would agree....but could never bring myself to follow through.

.

Anyways....to begin helping you....I would like to know about the MacPro......What is the Model Year? (Date you purchased? or Date of manufacture?)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mid2012 OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.5
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you get in your truck?

Ha....no.....it was just a though i had.....and it was more like....throwing it through my window down into the pool.

But same difference.

.

Thank you for the model year.....and to confirm....it is a MacBookPRO....yes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is. I was getting ready to ride my horse and see if she would crush it.

Mac Death by microwave!!

.

So...QX8....Im assuming your Mac meets or EXCEEDS the necessary HW and SW requirements.....for CPU, RAM and VideoChip.

.

With a IN-DEPTH application fouliing up, with no disernable reason, would lend to the OS being the culprit, and not the application.

.

Therefore....I would reccommend a OS refresh.

Yes, i know how much of a PIN in the BUTT a OS REinstall can be, and the length of time, and reinstalling applications, and putting your back up data BACK on the Mac.

But, honestly.....the amount of time spent TROUBLESHOOTING this....ONLY to conclude you need an OS refresh.....would be best just to skip the process, and jump right into Refresh of the OS.

.

Ive seen issues like this in the past.....spent hours, and sometimes days troubleshooting.....and in each case, the refresh was the answer.

.

Yes i know.....its a real bummer to have concluded this so quickly.....but after you see issues like this so many times.....you just KNOW......ya KNOW?!!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have no clue how to refresh the OS. Nor do I know where many of my software is. and I have a large backup that a friend installed for me but that's all I know about it. What if I went to El Capitan?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this something that could be done with Secure Remote Assistance?

No, unfortunately a remote session would not be viable.

A OS refresh takes HOURS, and requires a backup to be made FIRST, then your HDD wiped, and the OS installed back on.

You need to take the machine to a technician, who you TRUST, and is Apple certified!

.

This is NOT somethign a casual user could accomplish. ESPECIALLY because your using a MAC, and Apple guards their OS like the POTUS.

If you were on a Windows PC....I would say you could probably handle the refresh.

.

El Capitan is the newest version of OSX....and you could TRY doing the upgrade to EL Cap.....and THEN reinstall QX6.....see if it resolves the issue.....but im like 99% sure it wont.

.

YOur OS has been used for almost 4 years now.....and is most like become cluttered, and needs to be REALIGNED (refreshed)

.

Its like getting a TUNE0UP on a car

Your car will run better, and be more responsive, and will in turn LAST longer too.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mmmmmm.....Bill Gates? Wasn't he the one who tried to destroy Apple, stole the GUI, and lost the huge lawsuit?

Rumors!

No im kiding......uhm....Gates did some horrible devious things....but ultimately paid for all of them!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gates is still alive. Jobs isn't :-(
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gates is still one of the richest men on the planet.

All true!

.

But, did this turn into a discussion about the powers that BE?...LOL

We could on for days about this topic.....but i think your QX6 will be so ALONE.....LOL

.

Ultimately the issue is one that you alone can not solve......it requires a certified Apple Tech to do the necessary Refresh.

Or.....maybe its time for a NEW MacBook Pro?

Please take a moment to rate my performance

Thank you!

Hello Again,

I just wanted to touch base with you about kindly asking that you RATE my performance on your question.

So i may receive compensation for my time and effort, it takes just a moment.

Please....take a moment to RATE me, and at the same time you RATE, you have the option to leave a review or a gratuity.

Thank you!