Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

The power went out last night and now word won't launch,

Customer Question

The power went out last night and now word won't launch, docs won't open and I have a very important report that I saved to the desktop last night at 11 than I can't open - I can get a quick peek at it but can't copy it or retrieve it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows. I'm sorry that you're having this issue. It would be my pleasure to help you resolve this. It's very possible that when your computer shut down unexpectedly due to the power surge that the program files for Word were damaged. The first thing that I would suggest is uninstalling WORD and then reinstalling. Do you have installation media for Word in order to do this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I don't think so and am not comfortable installing software. Want my report to be retrieved before doing anything
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

If you will go to finder and documents, you should see your report there. You can email it to your self and try to open it on another device, or if you have a Google account, you can try to use Google docs to view it. Alternatively, If you 'd like to upload it here by clicking on the paperclip to attach it, I can convert it to a pdf file which you should be able to view.

If you have a recent Time Machine backup of your MAC, we can restore from it and get Word working again. If not, we could install Open Office which is similar to Word and will allow you to open, view, and edit Word documents.

If you'd like, I can perform these steps for you while you watch via the Premium Service of Secure Remote Assistance. This is completely optional. If you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and work on the issue for you. If you do not choose to take this service, but need more help, we can continue here.