Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

Everytime I open iMovie it says it is Optimizing movies and

Customer Question

Everytime I open iMovie it says it is Optimizing movies and I can't do anything. Force quit doesn't help as when I open up iMovies again the same message is still there.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Everytime I open iMovie it says it is Optimizing movies and I can't do anything. Force quit doesn't help as when I open up iMovies again the same message is still there.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** just tried this but when I opened imovie the same message was there.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

how long have you left it to optimize? As it may just need to complete