Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of computer experience, CISCO certified

I have no sound on my mac air : i have tried to reset nvram

Customer Question

hi there
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: i have no sound on my mac air
JA: Fortunately, the wizards we work with know Apple products inside and out, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best person for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i have tried to reset nvram
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mac Technician should know?
Customer: but no hope !
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

If you connect headphones can you hear any sound through them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no sound in headphones, sound only appears when i connect to the bluetooth external speakers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is a macbook air , el captain 10.11.5
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Are there any warning or error messages showing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Did the problem happen suddenly, or after installing or upgrading anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i think it happened after the last update for EL CAPTAIN 3 weeks back
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, open System Preferences then open the Sound pane and the Output tab, then select Internal Speakers and test your audio again.

If the Output volume slider is low or the Mute box is selected, raise the volume slider or deselect the Mute box and test again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is no output or input devices found
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there ?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Yes, I am preparing a detailed repsonse for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
here is a screenshot
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

This is a common problem on the MacAir.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Here are all of the known steps to recover your MacAir audio:

1. Reboot – rebooting your computer is a tried and true method for "fixing" all sorts of problems. Sometimes your computer simply gets confused.

2. Repair Permissions – this is a good thing to do regularly anyway, especially before and after you install new system software updates. Repairing permissions via the Disk Utility is something that is easy to do but can take a little bit of time.

3. Reinstall the latest OS X Software Update – this is a great fix for all sorts of issues as well. Go to the Apple site and download the latest Combo Update for your version of OS X. And be sure to Repair Permissions after installing the combo update.

4. Start in Safe Mode – try booting in "Safe Mode" by holding down the Shift key when starting up. Check to see if the audio is working after that. If it does work, there may be some other type of conflict going on and I would continue with the tips below.

5. Delete the BezelServices preferences file – this is a mysteriously magical file. It controls those on-screen images that you see when you change the volume, eject DVDs/CDs, change brightness, etc. But it also seems to be the source of all sorts of odd issues that you can never figure out, and tends to get corrupted. But the fix is easy and relatively safe. Go this preference file (location shown below) and just delete it and reboot. Location & filename:

6. Plug in a USB headset – sometimes your Mac simply gets confused and needs to be literally poked by another audio output device. If you have a USB headset or speaker, plug that in and see if you get audio output through that device. If you do, that’s great! Then try unplugging the USB device and see if your on-board audio output device starts working. (Give it a reboot as well just to be sure it “sticks”).

Let me know which solution works for you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried the 1st two options nothing so far, I am downloading the update and let us see !
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Ok, keep me posted!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i reinstalled the latest OS X update and fixed permission and still not working